ÀÛ¼ºÀÏ : 17-06-25 14:44
Artist Statement for 'Colourful World' solo exhibition at The Lost Ones Contemporary Art Gallery in Ballarat, Victoria, Australia
 ±Û¾´ÀÌ : °ü¸®ÀÚ
The world in my paintings is colourful.  I do not hesitate to use raw colour directly from colour tubes.  It became more clear during the residency* in Thanyaburi, Thailand.  As a result, the colours of my paintings are strong and solid as if they seem to hurt eyes.

There is a figure in the colourful world of my painting.  The figure lies in a deep silence as if they are captured by something or frozen in a moment.  They are expressionless and anonymous.  They are ordinary people who can be found around us such as a waitress in a café, tourists, a couple to shop, a girl in subway, a garden keeper, sellers in a tropical juice shop, and so on.  They are countless.  Monotony of these paused figures contrasts with the strong, bold, vivid colours.  I intentionally exaggerate these contrasts.

The ultimate reason of my attention to people in a society is to express my empathy for plight of human kind.  They are common people who are powerless and never truly free, living their lives patiently and stoically as a mere speck at an infinitesimal point in time within the landscape of the long course of history.  My work starts from my awareness which history consists of these people¡¯s monotonous or sometimes meaningless lives. 

*2months (Feburary-March of 2017) of artist residency at Rajamangala University of Technology Thanyaburi, Thailand

Jaedon Shin

Copyright ¨Ï HDWEB All rights reserved.