ÀÛ¼ºÀÏ : 19-08-08 20:32
A talk by Petrus Spronk (02/June/2017)
 ±Û¾´ÀÌ : °ü¸®ÀÚ
Notes for a talk for Jeadon¡¯s exhibition opening

Before I come to jeadon¡¯s exhibition I would like to tell you a short art story because I recently had a conversation with a business man. When I explained that I was making art, he told me: and I quote, "Mate, you obviously have too much time on your hands".

here are my thoughts on that.

Imagine this. Life without art and poetry//.

I mean the art and poetry of everything. The art of cooking, the art of architecture, the art of painting, the art of dance, and on¡¦ without 'the art' all of these activities would be dead. Meaning they would not inspire, they would not excite, they would not enrich¡¦¡¦¡¦//

Art, like science, is important because it inspires both exploration and greatness in all fields of human endeavour.//

the artists, for whom I speak, play, and through their play with ideas and materials, occasionally come up with a revelation, a beautiful idea, an exquisite object, a great building, an intriguing story or a moving poem.//

The artist and poet explore and share the possibilities of magic in an otherwise ordinary world. They show, in one way or another, that there is always another way.//

The artist and the poet are also important in our community because through their play they remind us of something as simple, but relevant, as our childhood, when there was much magic. The magic found in experiencing things for the very first time. Things new.//

In addition the artist and poet awaken in us a sense of wonder, which is the driver of a creative life. They take us on a journey, a special journey, in a world where we are perishing for want of wonder, not for want of wonders.//

That brings me to Jeadon¡¯s exhibition. Where the artist shares his love for his creative play with the audience. Looking at his work, I notice that he has created a special relationship with the magic qualities, and endless possibilities, of that play.

Then consider this. The art materials Jeadon uses are of the earth, they contain the strength of the earth. Yet they yield to the mind of the artist. As a result they also record, with great precision, all the movements he has made in relation to his works.

This means that each painting tells a precise story of its making. Each painting also leaves extremely clear finger-print of the maker and, in that truly amazing way, reveals the skill level of that maker with great accuracy. An artistic work is therefore not unlike a book for those who are able to read it. For those who are able to read and understand the language of art making.

We can see Jeadon as a traveller. He is on a creative journey and he records this journey in his art. A journey directed by his hands, the hands which I feel are connected to the heart. And all that is needed, to go on this journey, are your art materials, plus your hands directing them.

Each work Jeadon has made represents a discovery, a step along the way of his journey as a painter. Each work should also represents a brief pause,// a moment of reflection. Allow this to be, and it will tell him where he is on his journey and, as a result of working with awareness, will suggests directions in which direction to travel next. Follow these personal directions step by step. Continually simplifying. Simplifying not meaning less and less, but searching for the essence¡¦.. the essence of the work.//
Then there is that part of the making process which fills the work with an inner life. Which fills the creation with art, with heart. When the art is missing, meaning the work doesn't speak, doesn't excite, doesn't inspire, it is for all intents and purposes dead and, consequently, useless. Such work lacks soul.//
But¡¦¡¦ when it is there, when the art's got heart, when the inner spirit matches the outer manifestation, there is a sense of wonder, there is magic, the work sings and with that song offers the viewers a gift.
Now// here is the difficult bit. How does the artist attain that soul in his art? How can he make his work sing? (pause) "He works at it". He works at it with attention, with focus, with love in his heart, and with the passion that it deserves. He aims for the ultimate, the razor's edge where simplicity and subtlety meet. No less. All this involves careful listening, being active and creative, it does not involve being busy. Busyness in the main hasn't got time for subtlety. Busyness is for people with too much time on their hands.

Jeadon, the artist whose work we are celebrating here is to be commended for his colourful play with which he delights us. And he obviously used the quote I want to finish with, I found it in korea and I have pinned it up in my studio, I keep it in mind as a leveller, while wondering, and continuously questioning, what the meaning of making art is.
This is the quote with which I will leave you and declare Jeadon¡¯s exhibition open:

¡®water the seed of joy first¡¯

Thank you for your attention 

Petrus

Copyright ¨Ï HDWEB All rights reserved.