ÀÛ¼ºÀÏ : 19-08-08 20:36
¡®Shin¡¯s world of colour¡¯ By Michelle Smith (Tuesday, June 06, 2017 THE COURIER (Local Daily Newspaper in Ballarat)
 ±Û¾´ÀÌ : °ü¸®ÀÚ
Exhibition an antidote to grey of winter
¡®Shin¡¯s world of colour¡¯
By Michelle Smith

JAEDON Shin¡¯s paintings are every bit as bright as he is.
The talented Korean-Australian painter has taken his observations of everyday life and injected bright colours and abstract strokes to create large-format artworks.
From the daily vignettes he witnesses along Burke Rd near his Hawthorn home to the lush tropics of Thailand where he recently completed an artistic residency, his big, bold paintings are an antidote to the grey of a Ballarat winter.
His solo exhibition Colourful World tells it like the paintings on the wall, with vivid artworks drawn from his exhibitions Dear Thanyaburi and Burke Rd as well as some created during artistic residencies in New York and Berlin.
The ambition with his paiintings is for them to be so vivid they ¡°seem to hurt eyes¡± as they draw attention to the sometimes meaningless and monotony of human life and the anonymity of life in a busy world.
¡°I always want to make paintings like this,¡± he said.
¡°Most works are from my everyday life, so my works are from my observations of daily life.¡±
The paintings from his Dear Thanyaburi collection were created during his time at Rajamangala University of Techonology, Thanyaburi in Thailand.
¡°When I arrived and had a look at the area, I was captured by two very different scenes (that seem like two different worlds) that are a peaceful and beautiful campus of the university and a market outside the university which is very crowded with people, cars, motorcycles and all the shops along Khlong Hok,¡± he said.
¡°Not only the landscape of the campus, also the ordinary people in everyday life outside the campus are an important factor for my paintins.¡±
Mr Shin was born in South Korea and moved to Melbourne in 2007, and now splits his time between Melbourne and Seoul.
¡°The Lost Ones gallery interests me.  I have been to Ballarat several times.  I studied history in university and I really like Ballarat because of its strong history, vintage and heritage,¡± he said.
Mr Shin¡¯s works are also highly regarded for their exaggerated reality and a self portrait is evident of this, showing the artist floating upside down.
Jaedon Sin-Colourful World is on display at The Lost Ones Gallery, 14 Camp St, Ballarat, until June 18.

Tuesday, June 06, 2017 THE COURIER (Local Daily Newspaper in Ballarat)

Copyright ¨Ï HDWEB All rights reserved.