ÀÛ¼ºÀÏ : 21-03-29 07:43
Artist statement for "In a foreign land"(20 Mar-10 Apr 2021)
 ±Û¾´ÀÌ : °ü¸®ÀÚ
Statement for Group Exhibition, ¡°In A Foreign Land¡±. Curated by Chunggang Du. At E-HIVE Gallery, Melbourne (20 March-10 April 2021)

I do not like doing just illustrations of an idea. Instead, I want to represent a critical relationship to the idea. Rather than copying the real world, I try to engage my own life into my practice and this is the way I interpret the society. So the subject is always ¡°I¡±- ¡°I¡± who is currently living in Australia as an Asian immigrant artist.

Australia gives me a lot of freedom.  Although that is not to say that my native country- South Korea- do not have freedom.  As a matter of fact, there is an excessive amount of freedom in South Korea as a result of my own generation¡¯s protest against long time military dictatorship.  Yet I still have difficulties in thinking and expressing without self-censorship. This censorship has been seeded in my mind from birth, maybe earlier..from my father's generation.  In contrast, I feel entirely liberated from self-censorship in Australia.  However, this blissful freedom is not without the sense of deepest isolation from  the mainstream. Strangely enough, my current practice relies on these two things -freedom and isolation, lightness and weight, good and evil, ¡°I¡± and ¡°The Other¡±, enemy and friend, such a dichotomy forms the foundation to proceed my contemplation in art making.

For me, painting is always full of enigma.

-Shin Jaedon

Copyright ¨Ï HDWEB All rights reserved.